Sunday, January 2, 2011

Barracuda Barb Beer Stew

One of the only things I wanted for Christmas this year was a Le Creuset Oval Dutch Oven. Why? Probably because they look so amazing and fancy on Food Network programming. Maybe that is not the most logical way of thinking…but I now have the cooking pot of my dreams. But, I really don’t know what to cook with it! So, I had the brilliant idea of making my mom’s Beer Stew recipe. For all of my non-drinking friends, I’m sorry – there is no substitution…but the alcohol does burn off in the cooking process if you’re willing to have a can or two of beer in your pantry!

So, here it is…Barracuda Barb’s Beer Stew (it's a whole 'nother story why they call my mom Barracuda Barb - and her Beer Stew is the best!)

...and yes...that's Cooper trying to get to the ingredients:



You start with stew meat cut into 1 inch pieces. Toss the stew meat with flour, salt and pepper. I usually do this in a Ziploc…but the large Ziploc’s all seem to have disappeared (I’m not pointing fingers…Jake). The flour will give the stew a thicker texture (more Stewie…less Soupie).



Next, assemble the other ingredients (onion, rosemary, margoram, and thyme). I also have some fresh rosemary and thyme left over from holiday cooking. Dried are just fine as well. Use as much or little of each as you like. I sort of sprinkle them in – no exact science to it.

I’m only using a half onion this time – and for this recipe, it doesn’t matter if it is yellow or red onion. Give it a rough slice.


For the beer (which might be the star of this recipe), I used the stuff we have on hand that neither of us like…Polygamy Porter. But any beer is good (except I don’t know if I would try Corona…that sounds too funky). You can use one or two cans/bottles depending on how far you are trying to spread the recipe.

After that, you brown the stew in hot oil…any oil will do. Wow, Le Creuset really makes pretty browned meat!

Dump all of the ingredients into the browned meat, cover and bake at 325⁰F for 3 hours.



When the 3 hours is up, your house smells pretty fantastic! Now, stir in 1 tbsp of Rice Vinegar. I still don’t know why you do this, but it doesn’t taste right without it…so trust me. I think it might add freshness to the long stewing meat…


Beer stew is delicious over mashed potatoes or Egg Noodles. It is great during the fall and winter when you are craving a hearty but delish meal! Try it out!! It's some of the best comfort food around!


Recipe:

Beef Stew Meat

1 Tbsp Oil (or as necessary to brown meat)

¼ c. Flour

Onion

1-2 cans/bottles of beer

Rosemary (I use about 1tsp)

Margoram (sprinkle it around)

Thyme (about ½ tsp)

1 Tbsp Rice Vinegar

Flour Stew meat and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown stew meat in hot oil. Add remaining ingredients to pot. Cover and cook in 325⁰ oven for 3 hours. Remove from the oven and stir in vinegar. Serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles.

2 comments:

Letzelter Family said...

Ok- I read this a few days ago and have been craving it! I have been planning a dinner party with this recipe in mind. Is the beer taste super strong or will my kids like it?(keep in mind they are really good eaters)
I love new recipes so keep them coming.
Lindsay

Carrie and Jake Kresser said...

You actually can't taste the beer at all! That is the beauty of it. It just makes the meat more tender and gives it a flavor (that doesn't taste like beer). You can also add beef broth/stock if you want the recipe to stretch further.