Friday, January 21, 2011

Butternut Squash Mac n' Cheese

I've already explained my husbands love of cheese here. So, I thought I would share a very family friendly recipe that also helps you sneak in a vegetable...tasty Butternut Squash. So, here is the step-by step...and the recipe follows.

Start by preparing your pasta according to package directions. You are not going to need to undercook the pasta...we are not baking this recipe. The cheese sauce only takes about 5-10 minutes, so you can completely cook and drain the pasta before you start the sauce.

For the sauce, you first melt the butter over medium low heat. Then you add the flour.
Whisk the flour and butter for about 2 minutes. It should resemble a paste.

Slowly whisk in the milk until combined. I usually let it heat up a little bit here - but you don't want it to be boiling.

Next...add everything else! Don't be afraid of the chili powder...it's not hot, it just adds a little flavor.


Mmmmnnmmm...shredded cheese.

Stir the ingredients together until the cheese is mostly melted.


Remember this stuff? We love pasta!!

Pour your cheese sauce over the pasta.


And stir it together.

Serve it up and voila! Delicious Mac n' Cheese!

Ingredients:
2 cups Small Pasta (shells, elbow, whateves!)
1T Butter
1T Flour
3/4 c. milk (yes! Skim works...but would be delish with more)
1/2c. Butternut Squash Puree*
1- 1/2c. Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
2T Cream cheese
1/2t salt
1/8t Pepper
1/2t Paprika
1/2t Chili Powder (optional)

Directions:
Prepare pasta according to package directions. Strain and set aside.

Melt butter over medium low heat in a saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook (while whisking) for 2 minutes. It will resemble a paste.

Slowly whisk in the milk until combined. Add everything else, stirring until combined and cheese is melted. Pour your yummy cheese sauce over the pasta and stir!

*I have not yet found Butternut Squash Puree in the grocery store...but that may just be my local Harmons. If you can't find the puree, it is really easy to make (but I suggest making ahead of time). Simply cut a butternut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard. Place face down in an oven safe dish. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 50 minutes. Allow to cool. Scoop out the squash and place in a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth. I like to measure the squash out in 1/2 c servings and put it in Ziplocs. Then, the ones I am not using immediately are frozen for later.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm going to try it with pumpkin puree and I'll let you know how it is...I already have pumpkin in my freezer so yum!

Carrie and Jake Kresser said...

I know that would be easier than making butternut squash puree...please let me know how it goes! This is a quick go-to meal for us, so I would prefer using pumpkin.