Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Jerk Turkey Chili

So, we've already established that Monday's recipe was a flop. But, Tuesday night, I redeemed myself! Maybe not in bloggerland (because this picture was taken as an afterthought, half of the chili is gone), but I'm telling you - this is the most unique use of leftover turkey I have ever experienced. And it is DE*Lish!

Ingredients:
1T Olive Oil
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
3T Chili Powder (you can use less for less kick)
1t Dried Thyme
1t Cinnamon
1/2 t Ground Allspice
6c shredded Turkey or cooked chicken (I used about 3c - just what I had leftover)
2 Medium Zucchini, halved and sliced
4 cups Chicken Broth
1 can (14 oz.) Diced tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) Black Beans, drained (you can use any beans that float your boat)
1 can (4 oz) Diced Green Chilis (or, if your brave, jalapenos!)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 ounce Semisweet Chocolate, chopped (I did not add this - as my hubbo is allergic)

Heat oil in a soup pot over medium-high heat and add onions, stirring until softened. Add chili powder, thyme, cinnamon and allspice until fragrant (roughly 1 minute). Add turkey and zucchini - stir to blend them with the spices. Add broth, tomatoes, beans, and chilies. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in garlic, cilantro, and chocolate (if using). Let set for 5-10 minutes. Serve with sour cream and additional chopped cilantro. Enjoy!

Update: This recipe makes enough for about 6 servings. As listed, it is medium/mild - but you can make it spicier by adding more chili powder and/or using jalapenos instead of green chilies.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My favorite, my favorite! We should have turkey dinner once a month so we can have this chili with the leftovers!