Saturday, January 8, 2011

Jake the Great's Mac N' Cheese

One thing that my husband loves more than any other thing in the world...even more than me...is cheese. That's right, my biggest competition for his love and affection is an often smelly milk-based food product. So, if you can't beat them, join them.

I have learned during our 4 1/2 years of marriage to use cheese to my advantage. Always providing quality cheese products for him to enjoy WITH me (not INSTEAD of me). Hence, this little Mac n' Cheese Recipe I made up in his honor.

Now, granted, this isn't my favorite homemade Mac n' Cheese Recipe, but it is the recipe I made up completely in his honor...and it is the one I make the most because it has some figure friendly shortcuts that other delish recipes don't.

Here is what I use:



First, you create a Bechamel sauce by melting even amounts of Butter and EVOO in a sauce pan. Adding EVOO prevents the butter from over browning.



Next, you whisk in about 1/4c. of flour until there are no lumps and you have a paste.

Now comes the funky part...add in even amounts of chicken broth and skim milk. The chicken broth helps add flavor since we are using skim milk. You can always use whole milk or cream instead (for a VERY tasty alternative). I also add Red Pepper Flakes (he loves the kick!) and garlic. Let this simmer over low heat until it gets thick.

Then, turn the heat off and stir in shredded cheese of choice (for this combo, I often do Swiss and Cheddar Jack)

Meanwhile, bring salted water to a boil and cook Macaroni (or other tubular pasta) according to package directions. I usually undercook the pasta by 2 minutes if I am going to bake it off in the oven (which I do in this recipe).


Now, you have to make a critical choice...do you want to bake this with a crunchy topping, or do you just want creamy Mac n' Cheese. This wouldn't be Jake the Great's recipe if I didn't bake it. So, you toss the cheese sauce over the pasta, pour it into a greased casserole and put the yummy crunchy topping on it. Yummy crunchy topping is easy...I use Panko Breadcrumbs and combine with 2tbsp melted butter. Panko Breadcrumbs are the Japanese style breadcrumbs and I love them because they are more crunchy! Now, stick the whole thing in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes or until the topping is brown. Take it out and enjoy!!

More Mac n' Cheese recipes to come later...I have a Butternut Squash one that will knock your socks off! And it is a great way to sneak nutrients to the kiddos...in fact that sounds good for the next couple of weeks. It will have to go on the menu!

Recipe:

2T butter

2T EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

¼ c Flour

2 cloves garlic

½ t Red Pepper Flakes (optional to taste)

1 1/2c Milk

1 can Chicken Broth

2c grated Swiss Cheese

1c grated Monterrey Jack Cheese

3c Macaroni (shells, penne, whateve’s)

3/4c Panko breadcrumbs

2T melted butter

Melt 2T butter and EVOO over medium heat. When butter is melted, whisk in flour until there are no lumps. Let it cook for about two minutes. Whisk in garlic, red pepper flakes, milk and chicken broth. Whisk constantly over Medium heat. If it looks like the milk is scorching, lower heat. You want the milk mixture to get fairly thickened…so that it slightly coats the back of a spoon. I’ll have to do pictures of that process next time! Turn off the heat, and stir in the cheese until it is melted.

Meanwhile, cook pasta 2 minutes less than package directions (the pasta will finish cooking in the oven). Mix the cheese sauce and macaroni together and pour into a greased casserole dish. Mix the breadcrumbs and remaining melted butter together and spread over the top of the pasta. Cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes (or until top is browned). Scoop it up and ENJOY!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am totally going to make this!